Thursday, 20 June 2013

decorating: we're working on our family room

One day I would like to show you around our home, but right now the whole place is suffering from a bad case of magnolia. We are, however, slowly but surely putting a little personality into our not-so-new house, and it occurred to me that it might be fun to share a bit of my thought processes.

The current target of our foray into DIY is our big family room. It's a lovely space, but combines kitchen, diner, snug and (eventually) a workspace for me (yay!), so it's not a straight forward space and it's a big decorating project.

As yet we have painted (a lot) and added wall fixtures and shelving. The light milky coffee coloured kitchen clashed with the primrose walls, and everything looked very nicotine. Changing the units is out of our price range (and crazy since they're actually quite nice), so instead we have put a lot of white paint everywhere except for one big wall, which got covered in a favourite colour of mine, dark teal (from the crown vintage range) - I LOVE it!

I still haven't quite finished the mammoth shelf painting task that I have mentioned before ... but it's nearly complete, and consequently my mind has been drifting to more interesting things, like trawling the internet looking for ideas and lovely things!

After pinning like a woman possessed, my kitchen-diner pinterest board is over-flowing. Here's a selection of my favourite things ...


Lighting
Most of the area is lit with halogen spotlights, the snug needs a pendant and some ambient lighting. The one thing I really, really must have/need/want is an anglepoise lamp for my work space!
Find vintage anglepoise here, hand turned table lamps here and here, pendant here.

Wall art
To make a gallery wall, we're collecting prints and posters that are relevant to our personal histories. Find similar vintage adverts here and here, and for vintage travel prints visit here or here. I also love these minimalist interpretations of fairy tales, Goldilocks would be perfect for a kitchen-diner ...

Seating
I have a penchant for chairs - when a friend recently showed me her husband's poster of a century of danish chairs, she rolled her eyes and said 'what a geek' and I nearly wept with envy! I often pore over the lovely chairs herehere and here, and for the ubiquitous, but still wonderful, Eames Eiffel try here. I am completely in love with the new G-plan vintage collection, but that would require a lot of saving up, and anyway there is little point in buying a lovely sofa with a toddler as mucky as Elsie hanging around!

Soft furnishings
I knew you were wondering about crochet - it had to surface somewhere!!! When I get around to it, I'm thinking granny square cushion and/or even blanket, and maybe some pot holders. Apart from the necessary crochet decoration, I have a growing collection of barkcloth oddments, some which are crying out to be made into cushions, for a fantastic selection of retro fabrics visit here. I also love some of the prints from modern textile designers, for great selections look here and you can't go wrong with marimekko. I've had my eye's on this cushion for a while, and more beautiful round cushions can be found here. Oh and that rug, doesn't it look rather crochet-esq!

Bits and pieces
I always think the bits and pieces are the finishing touches that really add personality to a room. I adore vintage crockery and smoky glassware, mine have always been hidden away in cupboards, but now I have a special new wall cabinet to show them off (it's really high so little fingers can't get in!), if you're looking for similar items try here or here. I'm a big fan of Orla Kiely designs, the problem is they are little too over-popular nowadays, but I'm sure I will find a place for a few little touches here and there (infact my clever husband got me that very butter dish for my birthday after seeing it on my pinterest board!). I'm also on the hunt for lovely storage containers and boxes to house craft supplies on my lovely new shelves, I fancy wire baskets for my yarn stash (funnily enough I saw that Erica has just done something similar!) and a vintage tin always looks lovely as well as being perfect for pins, buttons and cotton reels. And finally, it looks like plants are back in vogue, I'm not sure my fingers are very green, but I love this little paint dipped planter (I feel a mini-project coming on ...!).

Are you in the middle of decorating your house at the moment? I would love to hear about your inspirations and favourite places to buy for interiors ...

11 comments:

  1. Hi Emma!
    Wow, what a task! Sounds like such fun though! I got my diploma in Interior Decorating (although as a Career, I didn't end up going into it) but it has served me in good steed around my own home! I make all my own blinds, curtains, bedding, soft furnishings and I love mixing and matching colors, textures and ideas! Love this post!!
    I love the lilly rug-very crochet-risque as you said!
    It seems you have a slight retro feel to your decor? With a Vintage eclectic touch and a slight Scandinavian touch too. I like.

    I hope all the decorating goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh - I like that description of my taste - I'll have to remember that one! I had no idea you were trained in interior decor - I'm very impressed and slightly envious! Do you have any good trade tips?
      Em xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous post Emma,we have similar tastes, I love all your colour choices of mustard and teal especially. Have you looked at the kitchen ware and soft furnishings under the 'Apartment' section of the mod cloth website, I think you may get some further inspiration there, they have some gorgeous stuff xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp - I just popped over to take a peek - yum yum yum, if my husband hadn't been looking over my shoulder, modcloth sales would have hit the roof! Will defo remember that for future ref, and good for gift ideas too - I had only ever looked at it for clothes before ...
      Em xx

      Delete
  3. It all sounds as if it will be marvellous, and I love your style :)

    I'm finally putting the finishing touches to my studio, can't seem to get any decent pics though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie! It's so hard to photograph interiors, I don't have a suitable good lens for my camera at the mo, just a macro and 50mm on a crop camera so more like an 85mm - good for portraits but completely inappropriate for interiors! That's partly why I haven't included any pics, I may have to use my phone! Hopefully you will work something out soon, I would love to see what you've been up to (I'm so nosey!)...
      Em xx

      Delete
  4. How do you do that collage effect Emma? It's really cool.

    I like painting but your task sounds mammoth. Hope you've been rewarding yourselves with a good drink at the end of a good decorating session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottle of wine in the fridge is my incentive!! Although, after my last painting sesh, the stinky paint gave me such a headache that I ended up in bed :(

      I do all my graphics work in photoshop, it takes me a heck of a long time (probably why I don't post too often!) but I do enjoy it ...

      Em xx

      Delete
  5. It sounds like it will be lovely - every time I see these kind of mood boards I want to completely re-decorate! I am currently in toy room dilemma when it comes to decorating, I can't seem to get it how I envision it in my head. I'll get there maybe some more pinning is required! Em (lululoves) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just like that too, I'm so easily swayed when I see something lovely, even if it is at the extreme opposite end of the taste spectrum! I have a dilemma too, with our front room, I just haven't a clue where to put things as it has such odd dimensions ... I've decided to leave it and concentrate on other bits of the house - in the meantime maybe inspiration will strike ...
      Em xx

      Delete
  6. This is one gorgeous moodboard! I think your kitchen diner area is going to look AMAZING.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete