Wednesday, 26 June 2013

ta-dah: pretty crochet pot holder

So it took me a while to complete, but boy did I enjoy making it ... drum roll please ... here, at last, I present to you my mandala ...


I do love it so!

Now I'm not normally a massive fan of a heart motif, but something drew me to this pattern when I first saw it and I bought it on impulse. Consequently I decided to steer clear of pinks and reds and use a totally un-heart related colour palette - oh, and I happen to love grey, mustard and teal (did you guess yet!).

After I whizzed through the first few rounds, I was all happy with myself, thinking 'hey, look at me, look at my speedy crochet! I'm gonna finish this in no time!' ... I hadn't really taken into account that when working in the round each row gets longer and longer - doh! Not only that, but each row gets more and more tricky as you have to weave the crochet in and out of stitches from previous rounds. Actually my main stumbling block was that dark grey, it was a different yarn to the rest, I used it purely because of the colour, but it is a nightmare to use as it splits so easily, and unfortunately I ended up having to use it on the worst row of the whole pattern - my mandala literally came to a standstill and I kept having to re-do stitches. That row must have taken me a week to complete!

Anyway, I'm so proud to have finished this mini-project, it is definitely the most advanced bit of crochet I have attempted, and the most complicated pattern. It was a great way to learn tons of new stitches and techniques and I ended up with a really gorgeous pot holder. Although I must say it is HUGE, twice the size that I was expecting, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to use it yet! Maybe it will end up on the wall, I have wanted to make and frame a doilly for so long, perhaps a framed mandala would do instead ...

If you fancy learning overlay crochet I absolutely recommend using this or another of the patterns by CAROcreated. It was soooo well written, with pictures to help you every step of the way, and a detailed stitch dictionary to boot, in fact it is impossible to go wrong!

31 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! I'm so glad you were able to find that extra 10 minutes to finish the last little bit. :)

    I adore the colors you chose and like how they are not classic 'heart' colors like pink or red. Congrats on tackling overlay crochet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie - I would never have done this project if I hadn't been inspired by yours - thank you so much, I reeeeally enjoyed it and learnt so much, I'm feeling like I could tackle any crochet project after that!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, was a really nice project and didn't take too long either - a real bonus with my ripple blanket knocking on 2 years now! x

      Delete
  3. Wow! This looks amazing. ♥ I need to learn how to crochet desperately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defo, its great fun ... and surprisingly relaxing!

      Delete
  4. It's too beautiful Emma and I think you might have to hang it up as it's too pretty to be hiding under a pot :o) I have never heard of overlay crochet, shows how basic I am with my skills. It's strange I am feeling more and more confident with increasing my knitting challenges and skills, but crochet has remained quite basic...hopefully one day xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so funny - that's exactly how I feel about knitting ... there's just not enough time in the day for everything! I'm so impressed with the wee hats you've been knitting up, I'm desperate to learn to knit in the round ... as you say, hopefully one day! xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Emma! Wow! It is beautiful! Well done! I adore the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie - I'm kinda missing it now that it's finished, I enjoyed making it so much ... I'm thinking that pot holders may be my gift of choice this xmas, just so I have an excuse to make lots more!
      xx

      Delete
  6. That worked out well! I love the little vase of garden posies too ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely :) ... there isn't much else in our garden, I even had to hunt around for these! I have decided to leave any proper landscaping or planting for a few years ... until Fred becomes bored with using it as a footie pitch!
      xxx

      Delete
  7. I like it. Very pretty pattern and good choices of colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie - I think I'm slightly obsessed with these colours at the mo, everything that I do lately seems to be some combination of mustard, teal and grey!
      xx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you - I really am pleased with it!
      xx

      Delete
  9. Wow! So intricate! And beautiful. :) Your knitting skills always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah your so cute Latrina, I love your comments, they always make me feel good about myself!
      xx

      Delete
  10. WOW! Congratulations this looks amazing! I have not yet attempted a mandela but will definitely have to I think! Love the colour choices you made. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, if you do decide to try one out, you should take a look at the selection at CAROcreated - she has several and they are all gorgeous!
      xx

      Delete
  11. it is absolutely gorgeous ... ! I'm so impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome, I'm not surprised you're so pleased with it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - I keep having to go over and check on it, just in case someone has dared to move it! xx

      Delete
  13. Your potholder is beautiful!! So lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job :) The stitches and the colours are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely color palette. and the detail is so intricate and beautiful. seriously, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
    www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny Entertainment or Lol Pictures with full of Fun... Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete